The Bode Museum is an influential history and art museum, known best for its collection of coins and Byzantine sculptures. The Bode Museum was originally the Kaiser-Friedrich Museum, but was renamed in 1956 to honour Wilhelm von Bode, the museum’s first curator. Bode used the concept of ‘style rooms’ whilst designing the Bode Museum, meaning that visitors were able to view different types of art together, such as painting and sculpture, provided that they were in similar styles. The concept has been quite influential around the world.
The Bode Museum is located on what is known as Museum Island, a piece of land on the Spree River that is home to a total of five museums. Architect Ernst von Ihne built the Bode Museum’s structure, which is one of the best examples of the Wilhelminian Baroque style. The building was completed in 1904, but due to significant damage in World War II, the Bode Museum experienced several closures for reconstruction purposes. In 1997 the Bode Museum closed for nearly ten years to correct the damage. Part of the Bode Museum was reopened in 2004 in celebration of the 100th anniversary, but it did not completely reopen its doors until October of 2006.
The Bode Museum is now fully reconstructed and is open each day from 10:00am to 6:00pm, except on Thursdays. On Thursdays museum hours are extended from 10:00am to 10:00pm. Entrance to the Bode Museum is €8. If guests are looking to get detailed information on museum objects, guided tours can be arranged ahead of time for a cost.
A visit to the Bode Museum and Museum Island is highly recommended whilst staying in a Berlin apartment.
More Like This...